Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sticker Shock

So I've finally experienced the effects of this economic downturn!

Ok, that was far too excited, let me try again:

I'm finally feeling the effects of the economic downturn. (And, I really REALLY need to break my habit of overusing exclamation points). I hit the grocery store yesterday for the first time in eleventy-million months, and walked out with a receipt higher than I have ever accumulated. (except, perhaps, than when I first moved here). Granted, my fridge stock was on the low-low, so that clearly contributed to the high dollar amount that popped up on the cash register. But, $4 for milk $3 for cheese: it all adds up to foolishness being withdrawn from my bank account. Then I immediately drove to the nearest gas station to prevent the gray ghost from going dry. Another hit to the pocketbook. Not to mention, I've been bit by this Homebuying Bug too...the prospective costs of that have me considering other lines of work. I need to make more money!!!!

****

Ne-Yo's new CD "Year of the Gentleman" is pretty frickin' great. My girl Tosha gave a great review of the CD on her site. Make sure you get the version with the remix to "Miss Independent" with Jamie Foxx. Good stuff. I miss music that just makes you feeeeel good.

Speaking of which, cheap plug -- my homie Marvin Winans Jr. drops his debut CD, "Image of a Man" on TUESDAY!!! I am soooooo excited!! I've heard the CD multiple times while hanging out with him, and it's that deal. No lie. It's hot! Check him out at http://www.thisismwj.com/ or http://www.marvinjr.com/

[/end plug]

****

I'm breaking my own rules, but I need to vent and don't feel like doing it on Xanga.

What has happened to men and their respect for women? It seems like, lately, all I am encountering are men interested in having a "jump-off". I'm sorry, I have more self-respect than that, and therefore am not entertaining this foolishness anymore. I was thinking about this as I drove to work today, and it was getting me pretty angry. What do I look like??? There's this dude I know here in Tampa. When we first met, I found him attractive and wanted to get to know more about him. Many other women did too. He expressed his interest in me and wanted to take me out on a date. That date never happened, it was cancelled the day of. Everytime I see him, he asks if he can come over. I've told him multiple times - in many ways, be it jokingly or seriously - that he cannot come over until he takes me out somewhere. It seems that this goes in one ear and right out of the other, because next time I see him, same thing. He makes comments about how, because I have my puppy, I never invite him over. Stuff like that. Honestly. I'm not an idiot. If you don't think I'm good enough to spend $20 on over dinner, or go to a movie, then why in the sam hell would I invite you over to my house to invade my private spaces? NO SIR. Show me a man who wants to know me for me and takes the time and effort to do so, and I'll show him where I live.

****

I'm so happy - the humidity in Tampa has dropped significantly. Time to break out the flat iron!

3 comments:

ToshaRenelle said...

OMG! Thanks for the link to the post first of all! Secondly, THE MEN! I know, YOU know, that I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Like, really, Thank God, I know how to LOVE and make MYSELF happy. God forbid I be dependant on any of the men in our generation to provide some happiness, let alone simple RESPECT! *smh* so tired, C, so tired!

Carla said...

Honestly! They really leave us with no choice BUT to learn how to be happy with our independence, until the RIGHT one comes along. If this is all that's out there, I'M GOOD! But I have faith that "better" DOES exist, and that's exactly what I'm waiting for.

LaLa said...

LOLOL@ "why in the sam hell"! I'm dyin'. :))