Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More Post-Work Thoughts....

Driving home, my mind was racing with a bunch of random thoughts. Let's see how I do at remembering them....

I watched yesterday's episode of "Oprah"...if you can't tell by now, my DVR is set to tape it daily. Yesterday's episode was about child predators and the new "Protect Our Children" or "Keep Our Children Safe" bill (I sho' nuff forgot the name). I sat there watching this extraordinarily disturbing episode of Oprah's show and got to thinking about the studio audience. Do you realize that the waitlist for tickets to Oprah is something like 2 years? These people finally got their chance to go sit in the studio audience of their faaaaavorite person's show and were probably hoping to catch a glimpse of George Clooney or perhaps scream and cry uncontrollably because they were surprised with a super-early edition of "Oprah's Favorite Things". Instead, they get to sit and listen to stories of children being raped. You have to wonder - how salty were they?

****

I've been wearing my hair au natural since the end of June. That's the curly-twirly,affy-poo-puff look. I'd never been able to embrace my hair's natural texture because for 29 years of my life, my hair length hit the middle of my back. So when I went natural, by the end of the day I'd wind up looking like I had stuck my finger in a light socket and been immediately struck by lightening afterwards. Chaka Khan after a high-speed ride in a convertible. It just wasn't cute. So when I cut my hair in May, I realized that my new length affording me a better opportunity to comfortably wear my hair curly. Low maintenance and no Chaka-factor. I've been rocking that look all summer; high curly ponytail M-F, all out curly on the weekends. There's no use in flat-ironing the 'do, not with this Florida humidity. This past weekend, I had made up in my mind that the worst of Florida summer was behind us and I was prepared to straighten it again. This was the plan for Sunday. As the hours ticked on, I couldn't motivate myself to do it. It doesn't take nearly as long as it used to, but I still couldn't manage to get up and do it. Today, I was never more grateful for shameless laziness. It's like a sauna outside. Had I flat-ironed my hair, I'd be ready to fight someone today. The humidity was so bad that my fingers left smudges on the face of my iPhone as I walked to the car. Ugh.



Me with my friends on their wedding day...and the hair :)

****

My job is trying to kill me. More on Xanga, later.

****

I am reaaaaallly feelin' Usher's new single "Here I Stand". It's just a fantastic song, in my opinion. That's the kind of music I LOVE...a great slow jam!!

****

John McCain was around the corner from my job today, holding a rally. I completely forgot. Which...is totally understandable. Heh. I remember that, when Obama was here a few months back, my co-workers and I were scheming to find a way to get over to the rally. I wonder if McCain got a lot of folks out to support.

Of course he did, this is Florida.

****

Apparently, I'm slowly becoming a Floridian. My first clue: I switched from "pop" for "soda". *gasp*

****

Day 2 without any caffeine. I'm surviving. It's a fight, when you're so accustomed to getting that morning coffee ~ Starbucks, I miss thee so ~ or grabbing a soda during lunch. I don't know that this caffeine fast will be forever, but I haven't quite figured out how I plan to reintroduce it into my life....if I am successful, that is. :P

****

Alright, I need to update my iPhone software. Let's see how long this takes.....

****

Didn't take long at all. Came back to say: WHO THE KCUF IS LOUIS and why have people been calling my phone looking for him since I changed my number last year?!? Someone just called me from the friggin' Caribbean, lookin' for Louis. On average, I get at least two calls a week for the dude. I wonder if he really disliked this many people that he didn't bother to give them his new number. Or maybe he died and people don't know. I dunno, but it's obnoxious. I even got a text back in June, wishing me (a.k.a. Louis) a Happy Father's Day.

6 comments:

ToshaRenelle said...

Living in Florida, I went from saying "pop" to "soda" too! Man, I miss Tampa and the people in it! LOL! I still say SODA, now! LOL!

Jackie's eyes said...

Your curls are GORGEOUS, luv them like ice cream on my waffles.

I really like Usher's trading places track.

(Louis) Think of a friend that hasnt been a good friend lately. Next time some one calls for Louis say he left a new number and give them your friends number. LOL if it ends in them pulling those pretty locks don't put it on me.

Carla said...

@ tosharenelle ~ LOL, do the Detroiters talk about you? I'm surprised at how little time it took for me to convert to a "soda" girl.

@ jackierodri ~ Thank you so much girl!! Lovin' 'em like ice cream on waffles? That's some serious love..lol..thanks!

I haven't heard that Usher track -- I never bought the CD, but I heard "Here I Stand" on the Steve Harvey show. I will have to yoink it from Limewire. lol

LOL thank you for the advice! I think I know just the person too....

Eb the Celeb said...

loving the hair!

Carla said...

Thanks so much Eb!

ToshaRenelle said...

The Detroiters TOTALLY harrass me for it!