Thursday, September 18, 2008

Have You Seen My Childhood??

My friend posted a note on Facebook today, his weekly "random thoughts". I get such a kick out of reading them - the guy is hilarious...and yes, random. In Item #5, he asked if anyone remembered Bill Cosby's Picture Pages, and even included a YouTube link. OMG, I LOVED Picture Pages! I wanted one of Bill's pens soooo badly, but - just as I never got tickets to see Michael Jackson live - I never got my Picture Pages pen. Roaming around YouTube, I found some other clips that took me right back to the good life -- childhood in the 80's.



Picture Pages, of course. In my youth, I never quite realized how "professorish" Bill Cosby sounds on this clip. Is this how he really spoke during every episode? And was Picture Pages REALLY just "Connect the Dots"? And was that REALLY the pen?? Wow...this is what I was all hype over? I admit to feeling a twinge of disappointment about this.




JEM AND THE (FRIGGIN) HOLOGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was completely obsessed with this show. I had dolls, the car, the wardrobe closet, t-shirts, and knew all of the songs. I hated Mattel and Barbie and the Rockers for being cheap knock-offs of Jem. The cartoon was GREAT!! I watched the entire first episode on YouTube (because I'm that cool) and was actually entertained! I'm considering picking up the DVD set. My girl Maya already has the whole thing. Jem was my isht, y'all. No one was allowed to say anything bad about Jem. Her man Rio was a bit of a gigalo though, I don't understand how Jerrica was okay with him making out with both her AND Jem? (nevermind they were one in the same). Manwhore!




"KIDS Incorporated". Every day after school, I'd watch this and the "Mickey Mouse Club". "KIDS Incorporated" provided a start for young Fergie (Stacy Ferguson) and Rahsaan Patterson. It's so funny that I used to watch them in this cheesetastic show. But, I loved it. I never understood why Rahsaan always wore that beanie though. Was it because he's black?




Is it just me, or does "Fraggle Rock" have the catchiest theme song???




LMBO, I used to watch "Muppet Babies" on the daily!! I forgot all about this show!!! Those babies had some wacky hijinks in that nursery.





"You Can't Do That On Television". Those wacky Canadians. I didn't even know this show wasn't American. "Did you say 'I don't know'?" *slime* And to think, Nickelodeon is still sliming people to this day. I believe Alanis Morissette used to be a featured actor on this show. Kids sketch comedy at its greatest.




Every Thursday, we were sat down in school and made to watch "Reading Rainbow". Good thing I loved this show! LeVar Burton was always and forever the "Reading Rainbow" guy. Imagine my surprise when I saw him getting whipped as Kunta Kinte. "NO, NOT THE READING RAINBOW GUY!!! WHAT DID HE EVER DO TO YOU?!!?!?"





"Pee Wee's Playhouse". I don't feel a need to explain. This show was frickin' great, the highlight of Saturday mornings. Young Lawrence "Larry" Fishburne was a series regular as Cowboy Curtis. I find that hilarious. Meka-leka-hi, meka-hiney-ho....


Remember how the fall season used to premiere the greatest cartoons? Between ABC, CBS and NBC, there was stiff competition over who had the hottest Saturday morning cartoons. They even had "preview specials" to show all of the kids what they could look forward to on Saturdays. These days? There are like 2 cartoons that show on NBC, everything else is the news. And you wonder what's wrong with kids today.

2 comments:

LaLa said...

Carla are you trying to make me misty!?? You've got all my favorite shows. You missed The Great Space Coaster. Gary Gnu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwVIZDAUF0

LOL, thanks for the blast from our past.

Carla said...

lol, lala I will admit that I got a little....reminiscent as I watched "Jem" last night. Do you know that I never watched The Great Space Coaster when I was little? They must not have shown it in Ohio!