Monday, September 22, 2008

End of the Day...

Just stoppin' through to drop a few notes before heading home. My puppy gets her sutures removed tonight, and - pending that all is okay - can return to her normal life of morning walks, outside potty breaks and playing with other dogs. The poor thing has been on house arrest since the 12th.

I had a very busy weekend with the Puerto Rican faction of my family. Good times were had by all. I did a thorough recap over on my other blog, so there's no need to get repetitive here. I mentioned in that blog that I am now in "homeowner" mode. I got bit by that bug pretty badly back in 2007, but at that time I knew I wasn't staying in Cleveland, which is where I was living at the time. I researched and researched, learning what all I need to do in order to become a homeowner when I'm thirty years old. The move to Florida sorta halted all of that, financially -- I took a nice chunk out of my meager savings to move - and I REALLY liked my apartment. So I wasn't thinking about buying a home at that time..I knew I would eventually, but I was comfortable. But now, I'm over the apartment. I want more. More space for company, tile or hardwood floors (carpet in Florida is completely useless...it gets filthy), a little backyard or nearby dog park for Cha Cha, just my own hookup. I'll probably aim for a townhome, as I'm not a fan of yardwork. I've already asked my friend for contacts for mortgage brokers -- she's a real estate agent, as is my aunt's friend. I'm ready.

My amusement park jones has also resurfaced. We rode back and forth through Orlando four times over the weekend, and I subliminally drooled every time we passed Universal Studios. My "park pal" has found a great guy, which is great...but I anticipate the relationship drastically reducing our spontaneous park trips. There's talk of going up there in October for Halloween Horror Nights..we'll see.

All that talk about Kanye's new single, "Love Lockdown"...I clowned him for performing it on the VMAs...but doggoneit if the song ain't catchy. I downloaded that joint on Saturday.

Here's something kinda funny: when I was younger, I didn't think that there were any Puerto Ricans who could sing. I'd see black folks singing all of the time, but I never saw Puerto Ricans on TV or in my daily life who could really sang. No one in my family could hold a note, and like I said, television presence - or at least, that I was exposed to - didn't really help to disprove my stereotype. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Marc Anthony and many of the other PR artists/entertainers who can blow. And this past weekend, I was at a 50th anniversary celebration that featured a choir full of older Puerto Ricans from the couple's old church. And they sounded GOOD!! As a child, that might have just made my brain explode.

I should've probably waited to write a post with more substance, but I wanted to stick something in here before I go home. Who knows what the evening holds, after all?

No comments: