Tuesday, September 9, 2008

American Politics = No Win Situation

Before I even get into this, let me remind the blogging masses that I am a staunch OBAMA 08 supporter!

With that said, I have to comment on today's headline on CNN: "GOP Downplays Palin's Pentacostal Past". I went on to read the article, which went on to describe how Palin was the member of a Pentacostal church for twenty years, a church that believes in speaking in tongues, faith healing and the end times. The author explained that Palin moved to a non-denominational church several years ago, but has returned to the Pentacostal church for special events and conferences. However, Palin has said that she does not consider herself to be Pentacostal. Full text of the article available here.

It seems that - if you are a politician - your faith is unacceptable unless you are a Catholic or staunch conservative evangelical Christian. Or maybe Jewish. Anything else? Forget about it. What would've happened if Palin had defended her beliefs and said "yes I speak in tongues as the Spirit giveth utterance" (lol, that's so deep). Or stated "yes, I believe that Armageddon is inevitable". What's frustrating to ME about the situation is, although I am no Palin supporter by any means, it passes judgment on a person's beliefs and the beliefs of those who ARE pentacostals. I've never been a member of a pentacostal church, but I have attended a non-denomination church that was deeply rooted in COGIC/Pentacostal/Holiness doctrine and beliefs. Therefore it bothers me that media is criticizing her for having an affiliation with the church. It would be one thing if the church she attended believed that violence is the only way to get things done, or worshipped kittens, or burned the American flag and danced naked around the bonfire. But faith healing and tongues? Really?!? That's headline news??? It's almost as ridiculous as all the Wright vs Obama foolishness, considering that Obama had no control over what Rev. Wright said over the pulpit...or anywhere else, for that matter. Sometimes I just need not watch the news.

***well, since religion and politics are two sensitive topics and I hit both, here's something stupid to end the blog***

I cut my foot in multiple places last night, preparing my puppy for her first playdate at the dog park. It was stupidly clumsy! I keep "items of interest" behind a metal exercise pen that I'm using as a partition. (I really need to give it back to Marv & Mo). The "items of interest" are things that she'd tear up if she had the chance. Anyway. I stepped over the exercise pen to get her little bag, but my back foot didn't make it. I got tripped up on the hurdle and the unfinished metal prongs on the pen tore into my foot. And I couldn't get myself together enough to release it. Once I finally hit the ground, I was bleeding out of four places on my right foot. Had to get the alcohol, bandaids and get her to the playdate. She was trying to lick my foot...I appreciate the helpfulness, but yuck. I had bandages all over my foot at the dog park. And that joint is bumpin' today. I wore my scrubs and Skechers to work so I wouldn't have to rock high heels and cause more pain than necessary.

2 comments:

The Black Kat said...

Okay... ouch at the foot issue. Yikes!

And politikin' & religion. First, these folks (the media) will take anything and run with it. I am REALLY at the point where I just can't even entertain ANY of the foolishness. I just change the channel.

Carla said...

I try to avoid it, but CNN.com's headline punched me in the face on this one. I couldn't help but read on....