Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Random Thought Post

It's been a while since I actually remained loyal to the purpose of this blog. Let the drain begin:

****

I don't know, maybe I'm being unreasonable, but why do people wait until they actually get sick to worry about their health insurance? It amazes me, the number of people who ask to see the social worker once hospitalized, and ask about getting hooked up with Medicaid. And, of course, I can't help them get it. I direct them back to the Department of Children and Family services because that's all I can do. I want people to be more proactive, especially when children are involved. Don't wait until the day you get discharged from the hospital and ask "oh, so what about health insurance?" Preventative care can help you avoid these hospital visits to begin with. [/end PSA]

****

I've finally decided to go ahead and apply for my Florida licensure. I know, I'm a bum. I've worked here over a year and am just getting around to this. Part of the process is the completely annoying task of pulling my college transcript and printing out the corresponding course descriptions from my graduate program. Going through my transcript made me extremely nostalgic. My college days were good. Perfect, no. But enjoyable. My classes were interesting, and although I experienced my fair share of stress during those days, nothing compares to the stuff I deal with now. There was more to do, more spontenaity, more MEN to choose from (hello!), and a quality of life that you never see again. I didn't get involved in a lot of mess during college - I was a "good girl" - but I had fun nonetheless. There is so much I would've done differently, so many things I'd keep the same, some decisions I would've reversed, and I probably would've traveled abroad for a semester. If only I had a time machine....

****

I called my mother on Saturday night to see how her interview went in Virginia, and she sounded real choked up. I asked what she was doing, and she told me that she just finished blubbering through the season premiere of "CSI:". I had taped it, but put off watching it because I knew it would be brutal. I finally watched it last night. I won't go into details for those who may follow or may be waiting to watch it on their DVRs also, but I SOBBED through the entire episode. Oh Gawd. I cried so hard that I had a headache afterwards. I had to go to bed! I felt kinda stupid crying over a tv character like that...you just never know how some things will affect you!

****

These election ads are making me nuckin' futs. If I see the "Obama's Blind Ambition" ad one more time (I promise, they show it every 15 minutes). Everytime I see Sarah Palin on tv and hear her speak, I throw up a little in my mouth. I can't wait for all of this to be over. I'm ready for our new president....President Obama :)

****

So. Suze Orman was on Oprah yesterday (?) and, as usual, was yelling at people about their financial decisions. Don't get me wrong, I love Suze, but everytime I get serious about buying a home she scares me out of it. She was talking to a young lady in a very similar financial situation as me, who was looking for her first home at the same price point that I'm considering, and Suze told her that she can't afford it. *facepalm* Sadly, the girl on tv had more money saved than I currently do, which is all the more depressing. It's scaring me out of something that is already kinda scary -- but I NEED to do this. I NEED to buy a home!

****

Today my stepmother turns 50 years old. I love the internet. In my broken mind, her birthday is 10/16, not 10/14. I realized this on yesterday, so I hurried up and ordered some flowers, which have already been delivered. *sigh* I'm glad, she'll be surprised when she gets home. :)

****

My girlfriends and I are planning to cruise Royal Caribbean's "Oasis of the Seas" -- in 2010. I know it's a loooong way away, but the ship doesn't have its maiden voyage until next December, and cabins are already selling out well into 2010. The travel agent gave us a tentative sail date of October 30, and is going to hold a block of cabins for us. The organizer is going to put together a flyer, which I will forward to all interested parties. Now, here's the tricky thing - as you know, 2010 is two years away. A LOT can change in two years. My girl and I were both laughing about this today. It's very difficult to make cabin assignments when most of us happily anticipate being married or at least seriously dating someone in October 2010. Looks like many of the women going - sad to say - are reserving cabins in their own name, hoping to add that companion later on. And, if it doesn't happen, will then find a girl to room with. Cabin assignments aren't hard to change. It's just a funny reality as we try to plan this trip -- and we both agree that we'll be SALTY if our roommate is a female chick.

No comments: