Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Curse....

Currently, the Tampa Bay Rays are in the World Series. They lost Game One last night to the Philadelphia Phillies, 3-2 and Game Two is tonight. (BTW: Philadelphia Phillies? Where is the creativity in naming these teams?) I didn't stay up to watch the game last night. I caught the first three innings, but I'm sorry, watching baseball is like watching paint dry. Give me the 8th and 9th inning, please. Anyway, I had a feeling the Rays weren't going to win anyway, so I went to bed. Sleep is my BFF.

In addition, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are tied with the Carolina Panthers atop the NFC South. The Super Bowl comes to Tampa Bay during the first weekend of February, and die hard Bucs fans expect to be the "Home Team" at the Super Bowl.

It's exciting. But I don't get excited.

Why?

I'm from Cleveland. The home of "almost, but not quite". It's a city full of teams that, as D.O. put it in his blog, are "scared of success".

Consider it. The Cleveland Cavaliers brought new life to the city when they acquired LeBron James. We made it to the NBA Finals for the first time EVER in 2007. And got swept by the San Antonio Spurs. Lost our 2008 playoff bid to the Celtics, who went on to win it all.

The Cleveland Indians. Remember "Major League"? That was the team until 1995, when the city was ignited by the Indians winning the ALCS and making their first trip to the World Series since 1954. Lost to the Braves in 6 games. 1997 saw another return to the World Series, only to lose to the Florida Marlins in 11 innings, after blowing a lead going into the 9th inning. We lost to fish.

The Cleveland Browns. OMG. The team that disappeared from Cleveland overnight. The team that was devestated by Elway and "The Drive" in the 1986 AFC Championship game. The team that is now regularly rattled with injuries. THOSE Cleveland Browns. I need not say more.

I'd be remiss not to mention the coming and going of other sports franchises such as the Cleveland Lumberjacks, the Cleveland Barons (both hockey), and Cleveland Force, the Cleveland Crunch (soccer) and the current present hockey team, the Lake Erie Monsters. (might I add, the final two teams have the worst names EVER.)

I say all this to say: right now, Tampa Bay is seeing success. Hopefully, things will work in favor of both the Rays and the Bucs and they will "seal the deal". I've never lived in a city with a championship-winning team, except when I lived in Ann Arbor and the Pistons won the NBA Championship. Should the Rays and/or Bucs "blow it", I'll be convinced that the Cleveland Curse has followed me from Ohio, instilling the fear of success into the local sports franchises.

4 comments:

WiZ said...

I agree with you, watching baseball is like watching paint dry. I wanted to see Rays vs Dodgers, then Dodgers to sweep Rays.

And I hope you have your fingers crossed too, cause if the Cleveland curse followed you to Tampa, then there might be a mob after you soon.

Carla said...

lol, I can imagine a mob of angry people who cut stupid mohawks in their hair chasing me around downtown Tampa.

Ah well. :) Hopefully, they win.

LaLa said...

Dag girl you know your sports. I'm sure you'll be posting a hip hip hooray since the Rays beat the Phills 0-4. With the next two games being in Philly, you can bet I won't be going anywhere near the city this weekend. Crazy traffic and fans.

Carla said...

Well I can't take all credit: I had to use Wikipedia to get exact dates/years on some of those stats, but at the same time, being from Cleveland makes it hard NOT to know some of these facts. lol

I was reading an article this morning in the Tampa Tribune about Philly fans saying we are "too nice". I don't think the Rays have had a legacy of success long enough for the fans to get cocky. Yet....

Good luck staying away from the traffic! I believe the next THREE are in Philly - we forewarned! :)