Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Barack Obama Elected President"




Once I get around to it, I'll post the picture I took of the television I was watching when those words popped up on screen. It's a moment I'll never forget. I was at my friend's house, watching the countdown ticker as the polls prepared to close in California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii. I figured they'd immediately add some additional electoral votes to Obama's count, as they did as soon as Pennsylvania's polls close. Instead, those four words appeared on the big screen behind Wolf Blitzer and I went BALLISTIC. (I believe I was the first one in the room to see it -- or at least, react.)

In my head, I have the words of Sam Cooke: "It's been a long/long time comin'/but I know a change is gonna come/Oh yes it is"

And it has.

I hear the words of the congregation singing at Ebenezer Baptist in Atlanta last night: "Deep In my heart/I do believe/We Shall Overcome some day"

Although the country isn't perfect, it's hard not to believe that we have.

I hear the words from a song from one of my favorite movies, "The Wiz": "Everybody look around/'cuz there's a reason to rejoice, you see/Everybody come out/And Commence to singing joyfully/Everybody look up/And feel the hope that we've been waiting for/Everybody's glad/Because our silent fear and dread is gone/ Freedom, you see, has got our hearts singing so joyfully/Just look about/You owe it to yourself to check it out/Can't you feel a brand new day?"

Indeed it is.

Let us keep President-Elect Barack Obama in our prayers.

1 comment:

WiZ said...

all the best for him